breeding albino cories

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Moved!:)

joon is 100% correct. And the albinos are just the easiest cories to breed! Like rabbits! So once they are adult size, frozen bloodworms every day! They need that protein!

thx!

Fyurae

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
Skagit Valley, WA
www.fyurae.com
I will try to find the article I followed again, but here is the jist of it.

2 males to 1 female is a good ratio.
Feed them very well, or overfeed (like you can overfeed with those little hoovers)
Do a good water change, and put in slightly cooler water. This mimics their natural habitat, where an influx of fresh rainwater during the rainy season signals them to start breeding.
The female will like to lay her eggs in a spot with good water flow. Mine like the pennywort under the filter outflow. The moving water helps keep the eggs from getting gunky. Some people also put shrimp in the tank to keep the eggs clean.
The cories will eat their own eggs. So either put them in a hatching tank and remove them when they are done, or give the eggs a couple hours to harden up and then you can move them (I use a soft toothbrush).
The eggs should be in water just like what is in the breeding tank. So, the easiest way to raise the eggs is to put them in a breeder box in the tank so the other fish cant eat them. I have a net breeder that I hang inside the tank so it gets water flow through it, and put some java moss in it.
The eggs take about a week to hatch. From what I can see, the fry are free-swimming within a day, but still stay on the bottom. Mine do fine on just flake food and detritus. I've never had to feed them a special diet.

If you follow the link in my sig you can see all my sterbai babies.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
I will try to find the article I followed again, but here is the jist of it.

2 males to 1 female is a good ratio.
Feed them very well, or overfeed (like you can overfeed with those little hoovers)
Do a good water change, and put in slightly cooler water. This mimics their natural habitat, where an influx of fresh rainwater during the rainy season signals them to start breeding.
The female will like to lay her eggs in a spot with good water flow. Mine like the pennywort under the filter outflow. The moving water helps keep the eggs from getting gunky. Some people also put shrimp in the tank to keep the eggs clean.
The cories will eat their own eggs. So either put them in a hatching tank and remove them when they are done, or give the eggs a couple hours to harden up and then you can move them (I use a soft toothbrush).
The eggs should be in water just like what is in the breeding tank. So, the easiest way to raise the eggs is to put them in a breeder box in the tank so the other fish cant eat them. I have a net breeder that I hang inside the tank so it gets water flow through it, and put some java moss in it.
The eggs take about a week to hatch. From what I can see, the fry are free-swimming within a day, but still stay on the bottom. Mine do fine on just flake food and detritus. I've never had to feed them a special diet.

If you follow the link in my sig you can see all my sterbai babies.
wow, thanks for all the info. it was actually that thread of yours that got me interested in breeding mine!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
wow, thx! this is a tom of info!

GMYukonon24s

AC Members
Feb 9, 2008
MICHIGAN
Thanks for all of this info. I know mine are happy when the water level is lower and the powerheads do kind of a rain hitting the water affect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store