Breeding black ruby barb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Planning to breed black ruby barbs, i moved them from a community tank into a 20 gallon tank and they are in a basket. How doknow if they have already finished laying eggs? Also when to move them back into the community tank? I vam see ky females are quite plump already and male ones have intense coloration.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
How do you know they are ready to breed? Have the fishes been conditioned? Well fed? Female have eggs?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The usually method is to put well conditioned breeders into a tank to spawn over marbles/java moss, leave them for a week, then remove the adults. Eggs fall to the substrate, hatch, and you will see the young. Eggs are tiny, so it's difficult to find them, and with most broadcast spawners, IME the females don't look much different because unlike many fish, they are literally always carrying and dropping eggs.

Reactions: terror

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Thanks :) ill try to add marbles. Actually my barbs are black
Ruby barbs, the male are darker with red snouts and my females are more pale with rounder bellu, unfortunately i only hahe 2 females left and about 6-8 males

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sorry, meant that the females won't look much different after spawning, not that there wasn't sexual dimorphism.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It would depend on the shape. You need space that eggs can fall into and parents can't get to, but that will be clean. Java moss works as well...best advice is try and see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store