Breeding Red Rosey feeders!! Need HELP!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buontempojr96

AC Members
Nov 25, 2020
I just set up my 29 gallon tank and i want to know what is the best way to breed rosey's..

should i buy like a bunch of them and see if they mate or what should I do to get them to breed

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
You need multiple tanks to do it and it’s pretty hard. The only fish you could breed with 1 29 gallon tank and use as a feeder would be guppies. Just get a ton of plants and or spawning mops and the adults won’t eat the babies

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What are you using feeder fish for?

Good pellet foods typically offer better nutrition and are better for your water parameters.

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
I second that it would be pointless to breed them even for profit, nobody makeS or uses feeder fish anymore

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
There’s better things to breed for live food such as micro worms and brine shrimp don’t waste a perfectly good tank on breeding feeders I think rosy minnows need extreme changes to breed, a good fish to breed would be white clouds if you are trying to skip a heater

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
You could breed orange chromide if you are looking for a challenge, they breed like discus and are easy to raise the fry

buontempojr96

AC Members
Nov 25, 2020
Not for profit at all... So i can have an abundance of Feeders for my Predatorial fish...

Just looking for answers and help on how to do it

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
How big are your predatorial fish? And how much extra tank space do you have for a breeding program?

The easiest source of feeders in my experience is convict cichlids. They breed like rabbits, grow rapidly and can be fed as soon as they reach the size needed. If fed on a good rounded diet (and convicts will eat anything IME), they provide the added bonus of being gut-fed, reducing the risk of the fish they're fed to being nutrient deficient. A 20 gallon long tank with a pair and another for growing out fry can provide a lot of feeders. If you need more feeders, add tanks for grow out until you're growing out enough fish for your needs.

A 55 gallon tank with just regular old mollies can achieve the exact same thing, with the added bonus that you can acclimate them to saltwater and then feed them to marine predators.

Either of these will be easier and faster to breed and grow out than rosy reds. They will be healthier as well, as rosy reds, like goldfish, tend to have a higher fat content than either of the species I mentioned, which can cause health problems later down the road.

All that said, you should be doing everything in your power to acclimate your predatory fish to a good prepared food. Even feeders that have been bred with that specific purpose in mind are not good for long term maintenance and health. I cannot think of a single species of fish of the hundreds I've kept over the years that I could not acclimate to taking prepared foods, frozen foods at the very least and often a good quality dry food.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store