Bristlenose catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FBCoach

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Hello All,

I posted this question over in the Newbie forum and it was suggusted that I repost the question here. Please don't think I'm trying to spam the boards.
I have a 50 US gal. tank that is almost complete with a fishless cycle.
I have been reading about different fish to put in it and would like to have a male/female pair of bristlenose cats someday. I have read that they need bogwood in their diet.
Is there a difference between bogwood and driftwood? If so where can I get bogwood?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Coach:confused:

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Is it really needed?

I dont have ANY wood in my 20 gallon or 10 gallon tanks. Yet, to the eye, they seem healthy. On top of that, they are breeding often. In fact, they are on their 4 batch think? 10 gallon is FULL of babies... Try to get albino Bristlenose. IMO, they are the better looking pleco. Of course, there are more exotic types of bristlenose out there that you may want to get. etc. Starlight bristlenose..what not... But get a male and a female and a cave where only the plecos fit in and no other fish and they will breed like rabbits for you...

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
Originally posted by Argento13
Driftwood IS a natural part of their diet and it also provides a very good media for algae to grow upon.
wrong. It is a natural part of Pleco's diet, but not the common bristlenose. IMHO bristlenose are better than Plecos. THey stay smaller - less than 5", eat lots of algae, even when they get older and don't produce the huge amount of long stringy cr*p like the common plecos. If they run out of algae, they can eat other kinds of food, not just the algae wafers. And the females don't have many bristles.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
stringy poop? My albino bristlenose has these ALL THE TIME!

I feed mine algae discs and zuchinni. NO WOOD!

Female has NO BRISTLES..Males have a few bristles. They are EXCELLENT breeders though. I get 2 batches of eggs a month. Each batch is about 25 eggs.

If you want a small pleco that EATS algae..then the bristlenose is your answer. HOWEVER, there are MANY plecos that stays under 6 inches such as the zebra, golden nugget, and the candystrip just to name a few....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store