Bristlenose Pleco Breeding Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
My longfins are spawning again!
Should have a good batch in a few weeks.

Also, I lost 1 claro (I think the female).
I'm working to get another one this fall, but if I can't I may have to botch this species until the weather warms back up here.

I did pick up 4 midnight bristlenose fry and growing them up now.
Hopefully getting some cool fry out of those in the future.

And I got my angels spawning like mad right now, I need to make room to raise these fry.
I got these back from a buddy of mine who passed away just over a year ago.
Hoping to keep his passion for beautiful fish alive through this pair of angels.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
I try to keep 1 species of pleco in each tank, they can be kept with other fish without issues to breeding. (I am not saying that you cannot keep different types together ass I have L200 and Bristlnose mixed in a tank with no issues). I usually throw some guppies or tetras in there to help eat some of the extra food.
Bristlenose I usually get 4-6 small ones and let them grow up and pair off. Once they do, each pair goes into their own tank as they can be territorial towards each other during breeding, usually ok together otherwise.
As far as size for breeding is concerned, I'd say about 2.5"-3" in size is when they usually start breeding for me.
Hope this answers your questions.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Hey guys,

Just an update.
It's with a heavy heart I have to write this, I am shutting down my fish room.
I honestly cannot keep up with the proper care for the fish any longer and need to pull out.
So I will not be completing any new entries for these plecos.
I will still keep my display tanks and a few others, but the main breeding area will be down this weekend.

Thanks,

Steve

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry to hear that but I know it's hard to keep up with many tanks. It can become less a fun hobby & more a part time job. I'm glad you're not giving up entirely...& maybe you'll catch the breeding bug again... but maybe not quite so many at once.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store