Brown Colored Hairy Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I got this hairy stuff growing mostly on my Amazon Sword leaves that are up near the lights. To some extent, it's on some rocks and even on my heaters in places. This stuff is tough. I even have trouble pulling it off with my fingers. Forget sucking it off with a syphon. The funny part about it is that it's more prevailent in my larger tank which only has 2 to 1 watts per gallon, less fish, a similar amount of plants and gets the same amount of CO2 and nutrients as the other tank.
All water parameters are within spec. I feed very lightly. I do one water change a week...20-30%. I'm dosing, twice a week with Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Potassium supliment at the recomended dosages.
Anyone have a clue what I'm doing to cause this problem?
Len

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
I'm using a bunch of Otos already but they seem totally disinterested in this. It's some ugly stuff. And I'm skeptical that the fish my LFS is selling are really SAEs. But thanks....
I need more feedback on this stuff PLEASE!!!!
Len

keely

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Could you be a little more specific about what it looks like? How long are the threads? Black brush looks like miniature shaving brushes, less than 1/2 inch long tufts, but it usually appears black or grey, not brown.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
This stuff is brown and hairy looking, and very difficult to remove. With some algae you can rub it and it will come off. This is a lot harder to get off. It only occurs from the middle of the tank up, and mostly is on the amazon sword leaves closest to the lights. Maybe 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch in length.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store