Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Bumblebee catfish with neons?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Bottom Dwellers' started by evil wizard, Oct 25, 2015.

1. evil wizard

evil wizard AC Members

Brian
    May 21, 2017
    Brian
    I was wondering if 10 south american bumblebee catfish could live in a 29 gallon densely planted with 20 neons. I hear that they can eat small fish but I'm not sure if neons could be food for them. I am thinking that the densely planted could help but I'm just not sure if they would be safe to put together.

2. evil wizard

evil wizard AC Members

Brian
    May 21, 2017
    Brian
    Ok I have changed my mind a bit. The catfish were gonna eat them no matter what. I am thinking about changing the stocking plan in some of my other tanks to squeeze them in.

3. evil wizard

evil wizard AC Members

Brian
    May 21, 2017
    Brian
    Do you think that bumblebee catfish (the small kind) can live with red eye tetras?

4. Catfisharebest

Catfisharebest AC Members

Cole
    Sep 4, 2016
    Cole
    Camera Used:
    Iphone 5c
    They would probably be fine with neons, I have had mine with both small and large neons for over a year. 10 is alot for a 29 gallon, maybe 6 at most. Red eye tetras would work well too.

5. Vincenia

Vincenia AC Members

Kayla
    Dec 6, 2016
    Kayla
    Camera Used:
    Iphone 6s and Fujiflim Finepix S8630
    I have one with my glow lights and Black neons, he hasn't bothered anything in my 20g. While in my 37g, 2 out of 3 been with small tetras and hasn't eaten one for the 5+ years I've had them.

They mostly hide during the day and only come out when there's food in the tank. But I would do about 3-4 of them in a 29, since they do get 3" max. Also lots of hiding space.

6. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Wednesday at 2:15 AM
    Jessica
    Is it a Microglanis Iheringi? If so, it would be fine with Neons. They will only grow to about 3".

7. evil wizard

evil wizard AC Members

Brian
    May 21, 2017
    Brian
    Well I guess I should tell yall what happened. My 29 gallon got a huge crack in the front. So I took it down. That was maybe a month back? Possibly 2 months ago.

8. Duckie

Duckie AC Members

Jun 3, 2016
    Do you know why it cracked, evil? Did you maybe shim the tank instead of the stand?

9. evil wizard

evil wizard AC Members

Brian
    May 21, 2017
    Brian
    I don't know why. I wasn't even in the room when it happened.

10. Duckie

Duckie AC Members

Jun 3, 2016
    You wouldn't have to be in there when it happens. A big crack usually from one corner to the opposite corner is likely from too much torsion (twisted frame like one corner higher than the other 3). It doesn't have to be perfectly level - that is only aestetics - but a tank must sit on a flat surface. If it is not flat and filled with water, then little by little it keeps twisting and pushing and pushing. Until the stress is too much and all of a sudden a big ass crack is there.