Burrowing betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heimao

AC Members
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
My betta, Mickey is sick, I think. He’s extremely lethargic-has been for about a week-and he burrows under his ornaments and stays there even when I feed him. I feed him twice a day, just a little, and vary his diet with bloodworms and other treats in a dial-a-treat for bettas. His face looks a little pale to me. His fins seem fine. I have his temp at 78, do 20-50% water changes every week, his ph is 7, and his nitrites and nitrates are fine. I can’t get him to come out for a picture, but I’ll keep trying. Please help! I lost Max after a year, same symptoms, although he didn’t burrow. What am I doing wrong??
Thank you!!

Heimao

AC Members
Jun 18, 2017
Ps. He’s in a five gallon tank with an air stone. I changed his air stone to a small one because I think he didn’t like the current. I have dip strips, and the colors match acceptable levels. I’m getting a master test kit.
Thank you!

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong, though, other than a change in behavior? No swelling, no discoloration?

Heimao

AC Members
Jun 18, 2017
His face is paler than usual. Mostly I’m concerned because he’s not eating. He doesn’t have white spots, and his fins look ok, from what I can see.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Try scaling back feeding to once a day, and don't fret if you skip a day. Very few predators eat multiple times a day, and bettas will be fine with daily feedings. The do change color as they age, so unless there are signs of fuzziness or scale deformation, that's not worrisome either.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store