butterfly fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
does anybody have Butterfly fish? [Pantodon buchholzi]

read the AC species profile, but i am curious what anybodys personal experience is with them.

my puffer doesnt have anything to do with the top of the tank, so i thought maybe..
my local petsmart has them for less than $10.

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
These guys are jumpers. Need a well closed tank, floating vegetation or wood, no too much water movement, and love live food. They will eat flakes and other prepared foods, though I have found that live food is well appreciated. A few bugs or spiders will be munched on if you throw them in the tank. I ended up being able to hand feed one of them otherwise they seem to prefer their 'distance' from us land-dwellers.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
so i could feed some live [small] crickets from my local pet store.

if I placed the floating plants across the front of the tank, it might block normal line of sight vision of the fish so they would not be as skittish, without blocking all the light for my sword plant.

the other issue, what is the best way to secure the gap around a
hang-off-back filter? they will try to 'shoot the rapids' at some point wont they?

and lastly, does a 4-5" butterfly have to power to knock
the plastic hinged cover up? suppose i should weight it down abit?

BluEyes

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Idaho
www.geocities.com
Well, I used to have a Butterfly (had to get rid of it in a move - went to a good home) it was ~3" and lived in a 15g.
Mine would eat flakes and bloodworms, as well as the occasional baby guppy when I got those... The tank was heavily planted (look at my 'site - the 15g "no longer set up") but no floating plants, just alot of leaves resting on the surface - fish didn't seem skittish at all. The tank had a glass lid with two striplights resting on it, so I can't say about the fish knocking the cover up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store