Buying new plants.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kumori

AC Members
May 18, 2019
So I avoid buying fish or pets from Petco was wondering if it was a good idea to get plants from them. The fish we had before die. Do they live plants do any better. My lfs doesn't have any plants.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Petcos all differ,

Learn to work out which are aquatic and not, learn what looks to be good or not.

If you aren't sure, buy the tissue coltured ones for like $5 and let them grow, be sure to pick which say they are aquatic and have patience in letting them grow

Kumori

AC Members
May 18, 2019
Will do thanks for the help. The ones I have now didn't come with pics or anything. Just was planted in his tanks before selling them to me.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you get from Petco, or mist anywhere, it's a good idea to quarantine or dip in bleach or potassium permanganate solution to avoid algae or other hitchhikers.

But, if possible, get in touch with other aquarists, and clubs, for plants or not. They can be great resources for plants,both free and cheap. And often far healthier and a better variety than you would get in your average pet store

I know Chicago, DC, NJ and CA all have good aquarium groups, there are likely others.. lits of other towns have general aquarium fish groups too. If you post your location I'm sure someone can help you find something close.

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store