C. wendtii broad leaf

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, at least I admit I' m eyeing up his crpyts, lol, shameless! That whole "on all the time thing" with some LEDs bugs me. My fish, & maybe my plants too, "like" some real darkness, I'm pretty sure (without data to support my view, ha). I feel guilty when I often get up in the night & turn on a room light for an hour or 2.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That whole "on all the time thing" with some LEDs bugs me. My fish, & maybe my plants too, "like" some real darkness, I'm pretty sure (without data to support my view, ha). I feel guilty when I often get up in the night & turn on a room light for an hour or 2.
I felt exactly the same way! And that is the only thing I wish was different about my vivagrow 24/7 lights, that I could have a period of NO lights and adjust the overall 24/7 mode more (but that last part is understandable at the price point). I have seen data to show that little to no par is produced at "off" hours on the planted 24/7 + (which is the vivagrow knock-off-ee) so there is that at least for the plants. And at late hours the lights do get REALLY low, if the room light is on I can't even tell the tank light is on. My plants seem pretty happy though, haven't gotten to fish yet. :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The only part about the lights not going out fully is the fact that they are next to me in the bedroom.

If someone reminds me in the daytime, I will check the temperature of the transformer or driver or whatever it is called. Personally I don't care all that much, I am not overly worried.

And no crypt spiralis in that tank, you may be able to see some in with the buce tho.

I think the ones in this tank are just all the ones that come tissue cultures from Dennerle, I got them at last year's Reefapalooza in secaucus, and just put them all in at that time, there might be a sword or 2, hitchhiker moss I am too lazy to do anything about, and some algae that I am not too proud about

Off the top of my head the crypts are Hobbit, kompakt, broad leaf, flamingo and cordata but don't quote me.

Outside of the broadleaf, none seem to be multiplying terribly quickly, but I am going to try tissue culturing and or emersed propagation in the near future, because dirt is less likely to kill me than it would a year ago :)

But if either of you two would want a few plants, really just yell, just promise to send some back if ever anything happens to mine!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
And... The substrate is mostly flat, if anything it is thinner at the back than the front due to various reasons, but mostly flat from side to side.

It's just eco complete as that was what could easily be found easily, it's now mixed with a bit of poop due to my complete lack of gravel vacuuming.

I do need it deeper in the back, plants thinned out, and the rocks moved forward... Who knows when that might happen, unless I find a replacement tank in a week and a half :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store