California king out for a stroll

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
This is my California kingsnake out for some exploring and sunlight on the porch.
She's pushing five feet in length, and she's got a bit of an attitude, hence the hook.
I've had her for a few years and I'm quite fond of her, even though she occasionally tries to have me for lunch.

Reactions: Anders247

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Ya, young Cali kings are prone to have an attitude, apparently yours never outgrew it, lol. We have 10 DRMB's, 2 BCI's, 2 thayeri kings, 1 carpet python, and 1 everglades rat snake. None of them have shown any disposition to strike or bite, though the everglades will buzz her tail on occasion. Does she settle down after she's out of her enclosure?

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
Ya, young Cali kings are prone to have an attitude, apparently yours never outgrew it, lol. We have 10 DRMB's, 2 BCI's, 2 thayeri kings, 1 carpet python, and 1 everglades rat snake. None of them have shown any disposition to strike or bite, though the everglades will buzz her tail on occasion. Does she settle down after she's out of her enclosure?

Kings in general seem to be very nervous and flighty. I assume it's because of their fossorial habits in the wild! She was over three feet when I got her four years ago. For all I know, she may have originally been a wild animal. (I didn't know to ask back then)

She does settle once she's out, for the most part. I like to take her out as much as I can, but she's prone to musking, and it's worse than the biting.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I don't miss getting musked by baby kings, I can't imagine how horrible it would be with a big one! I always preferred the striking of the little guys to the musk, especially when they were so little they couldn't even get a grip on a finger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store