Calvus breeding behavore?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone here ever breed calvus? I have 4 2" calvus in my 29gal. Yesterday I noticed that one of the bigger ones had dug a larg pit under a shell, he ws still digging it today. From what I've heard and in my own experiance(which isn't much) calvus don't dig to much, so I was thinking that he might be preparing a nest, anyone else have an idea?

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Yes that is breeding behavior. There will be quivering and chasing next. Also both male and female will turn very dark while courting. Keep an eye on the female since the males can be rough on the females. This can last about one month the first time around.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
How old are your calvus? I have two male L. compressep and three femaile compressep. The males are three times the size of the female. Theyare all over 3 years old and I am frustrated that they haven't shown any sign of breeding.

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
There only almost a year old. I was surprized to see any breeding behavore so soon.
Mine are white calvus, do they also turn darker? The one who is digging is very white. Oh and who usualy digs the male or female?

thewhateverdude

Registered Member
Nov 30, 2002
Regina, SK, Canada
Visit site
Usually when calvus breed the female chooses somewhere to lay the eggs, like in a rock crevice or cave, that the male is to big to fit into because of the aggresive behaviour while spawning. I don't think I've ever heard of calvus being nest builders. I have never had experience breeding clavus though, just letting you know what I've read. :)

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
They both dig. Yes the white calvus get darker. They will get almost completely black except the white stripe down their nose. It only lasts for a few minutes at a time. When the "dancing" starts the color will change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store