Can I keep rams with angelfish in my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishman1717

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2017
Hi everyone!!

I am new here :)

I have currently got a fluval roma 200L tank with a fluval U4 filter. I do weekly 40% water chnages. My tank currently has 3 angelfish and was wondering if I can keep rams in there as well? If so, how many would I be able to keep? Would angelfish and rams get on well together? Also, do you recommend getting any specific type of rams- like german blue ram? Thanks in advance :)

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Hi, welcome to AC!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend keeping the two together in that size of tank. Both species can be pretty aggressive when spawning/defending eggs and you're likely to hit issues there. Plus the angel fish can get pretty good size and wouldn't really want to share territory with the rams.

fishman1717

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2017
Hi, welcome to AC!

Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend keeping the two together in that size of tank. Both species can be pretty aggressive when spawning/defending eggs and you're likely to hit issues there. Plus the angel fish can get pretty good size and wouldn't really want to share territory with the rams.
Hi!!
Thank you so much for your reply :)

Can I ask if there are other fish that I can keep with the angels?

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
There are other options, schooling fish and such that would work. Do you currently have any other fish, or is it just the angels.

fishman1717

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2017
There are other options, schooling fish and such that would work. Do you currently have any other fish, or is it just the angels.
It is just the 3 angles at the moement :) Other than tetras do you recommend any other good species?

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Well, there are quite a few species of tetras that would be size appropriate. Harlequin raspboras are another good one. If you don't have live plants I like cherry barbs a lot. There are threadfin rainbows that are also a little unique. Cory catfish if you want bottom dwellers. Those are just the ones that are my go to.

fishman1717

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2017
Well, there are quite a few species of tetras that would be size appropriate. Harlequin raspboras are another good one. If you don't have live plants I like cherry barbs a lot. There are threadfin rainbows that are also a little unique. Cory catfish if you want bottom dwellers. Those are just the ones that are my go to.
Thanks for all the help :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store