Can someone recommend a place to buy Livebearers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and am trying to buy swordtails and possibly platys. The ones I see in local fish stores here look horrible. Mollies all doing the Molly shimmy. Platys with dead fish in the tank. Swordtails with clamped fins gasping at the surface of the tank.

The store claims that's how they get them from the breeder and that's just how Livebearers are these days. I don't want to buy and quarantine a dozen fish just to have 2-3 survive quarantine that I can then throw in my tank.

Can anyone recommend a place for me to get livebearers?

The LFS I usually go to pissed me off today. I went to look at fish and I see 2 tanks with every fish covered in ich. The store has a common filtration system, so it's just a matter of time before the rest of the tanks (at least in that row) get ich. Gourami tank with a ton of dead fish in it. Livebearers are looking sick and atrocious. I think it may be time for me to find a new LFS.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
BCAS meeting on the 2nd, or their annual auction on the 11th of next month. Also Dr Ted Colletti is the speaker and he used to write for TFH about live-bearers (don't ask him.about Endler's -- pro tip)

NJAS auction on Sunday

There's a guppy club in PA that moves around for meetings, they likely have folks breeding other quality luvebearers too.

HTH

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Andy I hear ya. My two closest LFS usually have not so great looking ptatys and mollies.

The few times I've kept either, I actually got them from Petsmart. In a short time they colored up and became nice looking fish. I always bought all females or all males and got lucky with no breeding.

Wasn't so lucky with the 4 little guppies and endlers I got a few months ago. I've probably got 100 now.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think he sells, you may have tuo surf a bit, or just break down and email

but, for prizewinning swords,

mrmujtaba07

AC Members
May 16, 2019
you can buy from many places online
like some websites are giving delievery at your door step
  1. Amazon
  2. pets mart
and many more like this

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
There's an auction by a Guppy group in South Jersey this weekend.....

Apr 2, 2002
New York
The North jersey Aquarium Society has an event (meeting) this Saturday May 18 (tomorrow). It is about an hour from Bensalemat the Clark Public Library, 303 Westfield Avenue, Clark, NJ 07066 Check out their site at http://njas.net/ Rachel O'Leary is the speaker this Saturday. Non-members are always welcome at almost any fish club event/meeting.

You can make connections at clubs that will lead you to some of the healthiest and often hardest to find fish. Almost every club has members who are breeding an assortment of species. I know several of my club's members breed various livebearers. A couple are award winning breeders.

The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies has member clubs all over the NE States. Here is their page listing them http://northeastcouncil.org/affiliated-members

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
There;s a guppy club auction in Princeton on Sunday, from the South Jersey Guppy Group... but not an NEC member.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store