Can you put a Blue Acara with a Convict and a firemouth together

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smac1977

AC Members
Oct 21, 2022
Hello, I just went to the fish store for a food run and asked the guy there out of curiosity, if you could house a Firemouth, Blue acara, and a convict together and he said absolutely and I'm wondering if this is a good stock for a 55 gallon tank. along with some sort of pleco?

Smac1977

AC Members
Oct 21, 2022
Or maybe a pair of blue acaras or maybe a species only tank, with like a pair of convict cichlids or firemouths

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, back in the olden days, we kept a pair of blue acaras & a pair of firemouths in a 55g. It wasn't great, the acaras took up almost 2/3s of the tank but the firemouths were able to breed too.

Convicts breed like crazy!!! & for their small size an amazing amount!...whee, & they're very agressive then too..Ugh. I would not suggest convicts except in a species only tank...& really not then either...Think of 100+ fry every single month...yeah, it's not very fun after the first time...what will you do with all those fry? There's no market for them...you & they will have flooded your nearby lfss after the first batch or 2...

Sorry to be a buzz kill but you need a better plan than any I've seen with your proposed fish...it's just not a good idea even in the very short term.

You might think about apistogramma dwarf cichlids. Do some research...you might keep 2 pairs in a 55g...but then you'd need a 20 long+ to raise them to a sellable size...for each species....Do more web searching & hard thinking...many cichlids are not very hard to breed but they can be difficult sell or even rehome...Can you sell in a big market area? Selling by mail can have issues too...think hard!! Everyone can breed convicts...

Smac1977

AC Members
Oct 21, 2022
Well, back in the olden days, we kept a pair of blue acaras & a pair of firemouths in a 55g. It wasn't great, the acaras took up almost 2/3s of the tank but the firemouths were able to breed too.

Convicts breed like crazy!!! & for their small size an amazing amount!...whee, & they're very agressive then too..Ugh. I would not suggest convicts except in a species only tank...& really not then either...Think of 100+ fry every single month...yeah, it's not very fun after the first time...what will you do with all those fry? There's no market for them...you & they will have flooded your nearby lfss after the first batch or 2...

Sorry to be a buzz kill but you need a better plan than any I've seen with your proposed fish...it's just not a good idea even in the very short term.

You might think about apistogramma dwarf cichlids. Do some research...you might keep 2 pairs in a 55g...but then you'd need a 20 long+ to raise them to a sellable size...for each species....Do more web searching & hard thinking...many cichlids are not very hard to breed but they can be difficult sell or even rehome...Can you sell in a big market area? Selling by mail can have issues too...think hard!! Everyone can breed convicts...
However can you put a single of each in a tank, for example 1 convict 1 firemouth 1 blue acara.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, maybe...if they're all wimpy males or don't care what species the females might be (eek! It might happen)...It could work...but still a bit of a crap shoot...that's pretty much how mixed species cichlids work. Have a back up plan!!

Reactions: Smac1977
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store