Cananyone ID this black furry algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
Lately in my 55 gallon, I have not had much trouble with any algae at all. My 6 ottos and my other crew takes care of the ocasional fuzz.

Here is a link to some picks of the algae. Sorry the direct algae didn't come out that clear. I could snap it with the flash if that would be better to view it... http://www.picturetrail.com/spankey

The algae itself looks like little black tufts of short hair? I have several of them starting on the back wall of the tank. And several seperate growing in the gravel. If you look around in the gravel pic provided you can see them.

I don't think its staghorn, because I used to have that on my crypts at one point along thier leaf edges.. Horrible stuff. That stuff was more branch like.. This stuff is more fuzzy or hairy....

Could it be Black Beard Algae, Brush maybee?

And if so what could eat this horrible stuff...

I have in the tank...

6 ottos
1 gibs. pleco
1 rosey barb
3 guppies
3 cherry barbs
1 blue ghorami
1 white molly
3 checkerboard barbs
about 10 maylasian trumpet snails....

I can't find SAE's anywhere in a 5o mile radius of my house..Any other fish I might add?

Thanks...

Spankey

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Spankey, I can tell you where you can pick up SAEs, but it's in Jersey. I got mine there. They eat the BBA as long as it's not old and nasty tasting.
The stuff looks a lot like the Black Beard I've been fighting. I just came out of a black out and it's cleared up a lot.
Len

Sneak

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Gig Harbor, Wa
www.geocities.com
I HAVE THE SAME STUFF! i clean i scrub and it keeps coming back :mad: I hate it right now its gone but it will be back, But could you tell me in "eazy terms" what fish will eat it? I have 5 or 6 kribs, a bumbelbee Cat, and a skunk loach... thanks,

PEACE

MX_6GUY

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
It looks a lot like the Beard Algae I've been dealing with, and SAEs are eating it. Siamese Algae Eaters. Make sure you get true Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus Siamensis). There are a few impersonators. I've noticed that they will also eat regular fish food when I feed....you gotta keep 'em hungry. My Otos don't eat Beard Algae, but will do a great job on practically everything else.
Len

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
Thanks gang!!!

Hey Len, will that place in Jersey Ship? I would hate to drive about 2 hours to pick up an sae or two???

I'll have to give That Pet Place a call and see if they have any or intend to get any in.... At least thats only one hour drive LOL:rolleyes:

Thanks for the Link...Tony...

Spank..:cool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store