Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Canister filter media

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by CourtneyH, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:14 AM.

1. CourtneyH

CourtneyH Registered Member

Monday at 8:33 PM
    I have a Cascade 1000, which is 3 stage. 55 gallon tank with guppies, mollies, bristle nose plecos, golden Chinese algae eater.

I need some advice on sponges/pads. My current set up is from bottom up: 1st basket: coarse sponge, fine sponge, poly. 2nd basket: poly then matrix. 3rd basket: purigen then charcoal.

I am wanting to do away with the coarse sponge completely because it never seems to be beneficial because the holes are too large to catch any particles considering all of these fish are small. I cannot find any medium pore sponges/pads locally. Can anyone recommend a certain brand and the best place to purchase? The only thing I could find at my local pet stores were bonded pads, which I still purchased, but it still seems more on the fine side. I found one place online that sold "egg crate" sponges three stage, but since it was ebay I was afraid to purchase not knowing if it was truly aquarium safe.

Thank you for your time.
    God Bless

2. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 3:26 PM
    I'm a fan of Poret Foam from Swiss Tropicals... I would expect you would need to cut some to the right size.. but could maybe contact them and see.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/

dudley likes this.
  3. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    46 minutes ago
    Joel
    Welcome!

Just curious why you're using activated carbon. I typically use that space for more mechanical or bio media.

fishorama likes this.
  4. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 3:26 PM
    I will second not using carbon without reason.. it is only good for a week or two anyways.

if you've used it for some time, and are going to remove, then don't take it all out at once, just in case.. it's also a good place for bacteria to colonize.

fishorama likes this.
  5. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

43 minutes ago
    I'm a fan of 2 filters, often with different media in each. That way I can thoroughly clean 1 every few weeks without upsetting my beneficial bacteria too much.