Canister filter media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CourtneyH

Registered Member
Nov 12, 2017
I have a Cascade 1000, which is 3 stage. 55 gallon tank with guppies, mollies, bristle nose plecos, golden Chinese algae eater.

I need some advice on sponges/pads. My current set up is from bottom up: 1st basket: coarse sponge, fine sponge, poly. 2nd basket: poly then matrix. 3rd basket: purigen then charcoal.

I am wanting to do away with the coarse sponge completely because it never seems to be beneficial because the holes are too large to catch any particles considering all of these fish are small. I cannot find any medium pore sponges/pads locally. Can anyone recommend a certain brand and the best place to purchase? The only thing I could find at my local pet stores were bonded pads, which I still purchased, but it still seems more on the fine side. I found one place online that sold "egg crate" sponges three stage, but since it was ebay I was afraid to purchase not knowing if it was truly aquarium safe.

Thank you for your time.
God Bless

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm a fan of Poret Foam from Swiss Tropicals... I would expect you would need to cut some to the right size.. but could maybe contact them and see.

http://www.swisstropicals.com/

Reactions: dudley

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome!

Just curious why you're using activated carbon. I typically use that space for more mechanical or bio media.

Reactions: fishorama

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I will second not using carbon without reason.. it is only good for a week or two anyways.

if you've used it for some time, and are going to remove, then don't take it all out at once, just in case.. it's also a good place for bacteria to colonize.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm a fan of 2 filters, often with different media in each. That way I can thoroughly clean 1 every few weeks without upsetting my beneficial bacteria too much.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
there are lots of folks selling bulk sheets of various types of foam for aquarium use (and much larger ones for pond filters). for example, Foster & Smith
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-...al-aquarium-filter-media-/ps/c/3578/4136/4150
sells several kinds

i agree that charcoal isn't very useful; it is a medium which extracts organic chemicals from the water. it is great for removing traces of antibiotics after you had had to medicate the tank, but as mentioned above in daily use it pretty quickly fills up with ordinary chemicals that the bio guys would eat anyway and becomes just another part of the biofilter with no actual benefit other than as habitat.

i would suggest putting the polyester floss at the very top of the stack; otherwise little bits of organic crud from the biofilter can escape from the filter and reenter the aquarium, ruining the polish that the floss gives

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store