Canister Filtration question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ksmith3631

AC Members
Feb 25, 2021
I have 2 canister filters for a 55 gallon tank. Can I set one up as a mechanical/chemical filter (filter media and carbon) and the other canister as a biological filter (strictly biological media). Just wondering what anyone's thoughts would be and how you would you setup 2 separate filters for 1 tank, if that is even a good idea. Thanks

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I prefer to set up 2 canisters on the same tank in the same way, mechanical then bio-media and finally chemical if desired. The reason for mechanical media in both filters is to keep your bio-media and chemical media as clean as possible by trapping debris first, especially fine debris that could foul your bio-media.

Some people suggest using a sponge pre-filter on the intake strainer to prevent small fish and invertebrates or larger debris getting drawn into the filter but they need to be cleaned frequently depending on your stocking level, feeding frequency and whether you have live plants.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You are welcome! Having both filters stacked the same will allow you to rotate cleaning the filters when it's time to do maintenance.

Which canister filters are you getting or already have?

Reactions: FishAddict74

ksmith3631

AC Members
Feb 25, 2021
I was debating setting them up the same way so that 1 can handle the load if one of them fails.
I have a Magnum 350 canister and I just bought a Penn-Plax Cascade 700 that I am excited to setup.
I've read that it is the volume of water as far as how many fish you can have in a tank, but I was hoping that the two filters could compensate for a little crowding.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I have 2 canister filters for a 55 gallon tank. Can I set one up as a mechanical/chemical filter (filter media and carbon) and the other canister as a biological filter (strictly biological media). Just wondering what anyone's thoughts would be and how you would you setup 2 separate filters for 1 tank, if that is even a good idea. Thanks
I wouldn’t set them up that way, otherwise the one with bio media is gonna get full of detritus very quickly. It could work but you’ll be cleaning the one w/o mechanical filtration much more frequently

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I was debating setting them up the same way so that 1 can handle the load if one of them fails.
I have a Magnum 350 canister and I just bought a Penn-Plax Cascade 700 that I am excited to setup.
I've read that it is the volume of water as far as how many fish you can have in a tank, but I was hoping that the two filters could compensate for a little crowding.
The extra filtration really won’t do a lot for over crowding since there’s no filter that can do anything about nitrates. The only thing is to test your nitrates and do water changes when they get up to around 20ppm. I would set up both canisters the same way and watch your nitrates.
One of my tanks has a heavy load and I have 3 AC 70s and a fluval 306 and I do 50% WC twice a week and clean the filters weekly

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I use 2 filters on most tanks 20g & up, it's a good idea. But I don't use carbon unless for a particular purpose like removing meds. It clogs pretty fast (days or so) & just becomes another place for beneficial bacteria to grow. I use prefilters to keep "big stuff" out (leaves, big poo, etc) but they need rinsing every week or 3 depending on your tank. Still, a few minutes of prefilter rinsing is MUCH faster than opening up a canister filter. I only clean canisters every many months (say 6-12+).

I have not used either of you canisters.

Reactions: FishAddict74
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store