Can't get filter to prime

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I decided to try a canister filter out on my goldfish tank. I got a cascade 1000 by penn plax. I keep pressing the button and waiting the minute but it never fills. Am I supposed to wait a little between each press? can I break it if I fill it up with a bucket of water?

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
If you have a sponge on the inlet make sure it's off. Make sure the inlet and outlet hoses are on the correct threaded parts. Make sure they are screwed down all the way and both valves are opened. The only time I have had priming problems is when I had an air leak.
When this canister primes you will hear the water gurgling down the hose into the filter. Pressing the button gets the water over the top curve in the inlet hose. Once it's over the top it's a mad rush of water into the canister and when it quiets down you'll be ready to go. Air will go into the tank for hours to days in the form of little bubbles. It may be messy but if you have a bum primer button then you may have to get the siphon started on the inlet hose with the hose off the filter, once going turn off the valve, then attach the hose to the canister and open the valve.
Good luck.

Q

Last edited:

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Not to be funny but just suck the output tube until the siphon starts.
If you added the spraybar attachment take it off and suck on the output tube until it starts to siphon and the canister fills up. while it's filling you can reattach the spraybar/diffuser.

BigAds

Big Fish in a Small Pond
Apr 19, 2008
Madison, WI
If you added the spraybar attachment take it off and suck on the output tube until it starts to siphon and the canister fills up. while it's filling you can reattach the spraybar/diffuser.
I used to suck on the end of my gravel vac. for my 10 gallon tank, until I didn't stop fast enough to not get a face full of tank water- my wife thought it was hilarious, I wasn't too impressed...

Granted, the tubes you're dealing with are much longer and it's not likely that you'll get any water on you, but I'd still watch what you're doing if you decide to go that route.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I wasn't going to suggest doing that but if you loop the tubing right you'll be OK. Undo the inlet tubing connector from the canister and bring the open end up above the waterline of the tank and then start the siphon. The hose should fill to the waterline. Then just slowly move the end of the tubing down until the water is at the connector. Shut the valve and screw the connector back onto the filter. Open the valve and the water should start ruching into the canister.

Q

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I got a little hose with hand pump and put the end of it in the filters intake tube. It will trickle for a few seconds every minute then stop. I guess there is a lot of air in it. Will it work itself out? Whoa! as I was writing it started coming out full force. I think my goldfish are scared.

darrch

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2017
From another post, I learned the quickest and easiest way to prime. The priming pump is simply not strong enough to suck water in, and clear the air, even with outlet valve closed. Never worked.

Remove the outlet hose from the tank, and place outlet below level of tank. Pump and prime to cause water to drain from the tank. This should clear the air in the lines. Then, with water still flowing out the outlet, stick it back underwater. Voila. No need to suck and get a face wash. Yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store