Cascade canister return pipe is constantly sputtering air

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I have a 125 gallon with two Cascade 1500 canister filters, and over the past couple days I have been dismantling the entire setup for a complete overhaul (replacing substrate, decor, ect.). Well yesterday I finally got everything back together after much trial and error but, now there's another problem. On the tube that puts water back into the tank, one of the filters is perpetually spitting air out along with the water as if the thing was freshly primed, but it's been running since last night and still doing this.

The thing is I messed up royally twice while setting everything back up. First, I put the input and output ends on the wrong sides so I sat there for several minutes wondering why nothing was working (i.e. the intake tub was pushing water out). And then after figuring out my mistake, instead of doing the smart thing and just switching the input/output pieces in the tank I decided to unscrew the entire tube off the canister, which led to water exploding all over the floor. Finally managed to fix the issue and get everything again despite all the mishaps but, that same tube I unscrewed is the one constantly spewing air along with the water it's putting back into the tank so, did something get damaged?

The other filter has been going fine from what I can tell which is why I'm suspicious that something went awry due to the "extra" tube mishap.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Unplug the filter and wait a few minutes, air should rise in the output hose to the rim of the aquarium. Plug it back in and see if the issue goes away.

If that doesn't fix the issue, I suggest unplugging the filter, draining the filter of water and follow the instructions for priming the filter after filter maintenance.

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
I left the house for a couple hours and came back to see all the air had finally been pushed out so it was pumping nothing but water again. Thank goodness, really did NOT want to mess around with the darn thing again.

As an aside I've noticed how much stronger the currents from the outflows are now since everything's been cleaned out (recently bought the whole system off Craigslist and it's evident the previous owner never serviced the canisters at all).

Reactions: Sprinkle and dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store