Catching shrimp in community aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
So, I've been setting up my 10 gallon shrimp tank. I made a mistake putting about 12 shrimp in my 55 gallon community tank several months ago. I'd heard that small fish like glowlight tetras would be fine with the shrimp. Within 30 seconds I watched them rip apart a small male shrimp. I think I'm down to 3 shrimp now, and they all live in a bonsai driftwood tree with java moss. I'd like to catch those shrimp and move them in to the new shrimp-only tank. I've seen the DIY shrimp traps with the plastic water bottle, but I want to make sure I don't catch my fish too. I even read a horror story about cory catfish releasing a toxin when they got stressed that killed all the fish in the shrimp trap. They're going to be impossible to net, as they hide in the java moss all day due to the fish swimming around.

So, any suggestions on how to safely remove these shrimp without catching any fish or having any fish deaths?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Can you suspend a smallish net with some java moss near the bonsai driftwood tree and hope the shrimp transfer over? Maybe add a few food pellet hidden in the moss inside the net?

Or try the water bottle trap with both ends cut off so fish won't be trapped, fill with moss and suspend near the tree home.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I'd just pour the contents of the trap into a clear container and net out the fish. I've never had a problem with fish deaths, so long as the trap is checked regularly.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I'd heard that small fish like glowlight tetras would be fine with the shrimp. Within 30 seconds I watched them rip apart a small male shrimp. I think I'm down to 3 shrimp now,
Wait, what, glowlight tetras as in Hemigrammus erythrozonus? I am keeping those with shrimp, and have been for the past 20 years or so.
I am sure they could eat bite sized shrimplets but they are not aggressive or anything. They aren't interested in swimming shrimp just as they aren't interested in other tetras and vice versa. They don't even eat small endler fry if it is in front of their noses.
Tetras can be aggressive if you don't keep them in a school.. how many do you have?

Drewbacca

AC Members
Mar 20, 2019
Wait, what, glowlight tetras as in Hemigrammus erythrozonus? I am keeping those with shrimp, and have been for the past 20 years or so.
I am sure they could eat bite sized shrimplets but they are not aggressive or anything. They aren't interested in swimming shrimp just as they aren't interested in other tetras and vice versa. They don't even eat small endler fry if it is in front of their noses.
Tetras can be aggressive if you don't keep them in a school.. how many do you have?
I have 8 glowlight tetras. They ripped the shrimp to pieces over the first few days. I started with 12 and only have 2-3 females left that they leave alone now that they’re over an inch. They’re the laziest fish ever, but when the shrimp went in they went Kujo on them.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
It would probably be easier to just buy more shrimp...assuming they aren't anything crazy like SSS crystal reds or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store