Caves, good or bad? And circulation.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
I recently set up a 100g tank which will end up being heavily planted and co2 injected.

When setting it up I used a row of stones along the middle with more substrate behind and less in front to create a tiered effect.

I thought it would be good to make a few caves under the back tier for some of the fish. I accomplished this using some of those disposable glad tupperware containers, upside down with an opening cut into the side. then used the rocks in front to create the opening into the "cave"

I have noticed my clown loaches have taken up residence in one of the caves and are rarely to be seen outside them.

Do you think this is just behavior acclimitizing to the new tank? Or can I expect to never see my loaches again?

Has anybody else had experience with this type of set up? I want to provide as low stres an environment as I can for my fish, but I'd still like to see them occasionally.

Also, I have an emporer 400 on the back of the right side of this tank, and a sponge and powerhead combination on the left end to facilitate the c02 injection (The sponge acts partially as a reactor for the co2.

I have noticed very little waterflow around the lefthand side. The only adverse affect of this is that I see more "dust" and particulate matter settling on plants and rocks on that side. For a tank which will end up heavily planted is this OK, or would you guys suggest more filtration/waterflow?

Right now the "cleanup crew" in this tank is only 4 ottos, 2 ramshorns, and a handful of MTS's

Last edited:

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
your addition of caves was a good choice. Clown loaches can be a bit skittish for a few weeks. Then before you know it they are out and about pushing other fish out of the way to get at food. Caves can also be essential for many species to breed, eg kribensis. Be patient and they will be out and about.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
the loaches sound pretty normal to me.....

your filtration and circulation sounds sort of "weak" for my tastes, maybe another powerhead to stir up the sediment a bit. personally i would opt for a big canister like a fluval 404 to augment the emperor 400. there is no such thing as over filtration, only *possibly* too much current and there is many inventive ways to blunt this.

good luck

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
Well,

A canister is in the offings, but not until after the first of the year. I told my GF I was putting a moritorium on fish stuff spending until after ths holidays. ;)

I'm thinking one of the Ehiem Pro series, with the integrated heater and all that.

I was speaking more as in interrum. Right now it's lightly stocked as mentioned above, and the ottos seem to be holding thier own against what little algae is cropping up (lots of plants to eat nutrients.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store