Changing Filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I just wanted to run this by you folks...for purely personal reasons, I'm getting rid of my emp. 400's and switching to ac500's...my large Big Al's order arrived last night, so of course I tore right in and started working. What I did so far was:

1. Setup the Magnum 350/Pro60 Bio-Wheel
2. Took down 1 Emp 400. Crammed all the media into my new AC500 under a single sponge.

I'd like opinions on the following:

1. How long would you leave the old media in the AC500 before you'd be willing to swap it out for a second sponge and some floss? I'm trying to avoid seriously recycling the tank, and there simply wasn't enough room to leave all 5 filters running at the same time.

2. If I waited say...a month, do you think the Magnum and the AC500 would be sufficiently colonated to switch out the other emp 400?

Thanks.

Jeremy S

AC Members
Jun 26, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
Originally posted by morleyz
1. How long would you leave the old media in the AC500 before you'd be willing to swap it out for a second sponge and some floss? I'm trying to avoid seriously recycling the tank, and there simply wasn't enough room to leave all 5 filters running at the same time.
I would wait about a month in a half to two months just to be safe. ;)

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: Re: Changing Filters

I would think that the bacteria would move to the more desirable location on the new biowheel within a few weeks. I think 1 month is sufficient.
I setup a canister on my 20 gal to transition from the penguin 125 I had been using. Within 10 days the bacteria had moved off the biowheel and into the more desirable canister.
good luck
:)

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Somewhere back in an old thread or two, I'd read that the vast majority of the bacteria were living in the tank, outside the filters. I think the figure given was only about 15% in the filter. Taking the one filter down is similar to adding slightly to the bioload. In a mature tank with 3 other mature filters running I'd think the colony would adjust very quickly, in much less than a month.

If there is no reason to move more quickly, its always better to err on the side of caution, but I think a month or even a couple of weeks would be plenty.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Cirean
Don't bust a gut....just throw two AC sponges in that puppy and let er rip. It amazes me how many of us can go on and on like the guy in that article, and make such a simple thing complicated. AC's are super filters right out of the box with 2 sponges. And a breeze to maintain. Just my opinion....
Len

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
First of all, the only reason I had the emps in the first place was because they came as a package with the tank when I bought it used.

So as to why I'm switching...

Mostly service and maintainability. I like the AC's much better....not as many nooks and crannies that get all gunked up. The media area is much more useful.

secondly, emp's are much louder.

I have to admit, I liked the biowheel...which is why I went with the Magnum, but the design of the magnum bio-wheel is is much quieter as the water flow is a lot lower.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store