Cheech's 90 g. build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
A small update...

I've been testing my parameters and everything was spot on, except for nitrates. Throughout a few weeks, they've been increasing. Yesterday they were at about 12, and I couldn't figure what the heck was wrong.

Well yesterday I figured it out. I found a big piece of rusted disintigrating metal mesh in the bottom of the overflow that fell in there and I forgot about. It's been in there for at least a month.

I'm pretty sure that's what's been causing the rise in nitrates. Needless to say, I removed it, and I'll be doing some water changes to bring down those nitrates.

I also setup my biopellets reactor. I used Vertex biopellets in a vertex reactor (pump is a Mag 350). I started off with 100 ml, and I'll be adding 100 ml weekly until I reach the recommended dosage of about 500 ml. There are mixed reactions on biopellets, and I'm curious to see how it affects my system. I'll add some pictures and details tonight.

Next on the list is deciding whether or not to remove the filter sock.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Finally took a few pics. I haven't been able to take a full front shot, pictures keep coming out blurry.
YpcNql.jpg
biopellets, currently 200 ml

zl5lVl.jpg
carbon reactor

Most of the frags were added today.

5rfj5l.jpg

hfgMFl.jpg

abHhQl.jpg

V9Ticl.jpg

Mj7b5l.jpg
this is a maxi mini anemone. They had just come in. I added it in the tank a few hours ago. Can't wait to see it in a few months. I also purchased a porcelin crab that was paired with it, but the crab took off when I placed it in the tank. Anyone know if it'll find its way to the anemone?

YpcNql.jpg zl5lVl.jpg 5rfj5l.jpg hfgMFl.jpg abHhQl.jpg V9Ticl.jpg Mj7b5l.jpg

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice frags, great looking mini carpet. Love the setup as well. Is that shelf above your sump screwed into wall studs :) ?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Looks pretty bright. Any readings on the current settings? I know its usually pretty easy to underestimate the intensity without some sort of reading (even more of an issue with lots of bluer LEDs).

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
^^ yeah, it is quite bright. When the blues are on (only the blues) I can't even take pictures cause they come out too bright with way too much contrast. The time this pic was taken, all three lights were on. (14X 3 watt blues, 14X 3 watt whites, and 2X 30 watt whites).

I don't have any par readings though.

What I like about this lighting is that they came out with lots of different colored LEDs, which can make for some interesting color combinations.

here's what the manufacturer has:

3W White SemiLED Color Temperature: 10000K-12000K with Luminous flux 150lm

3W Royal Blue SemiLED Peak Wavelength: 445nm

30W Cool White SemiLED Color Temperature: 14000K-16000K with Luminous flux 1860lm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store