Chia pet seeds in aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Mmmmm... Chia sandwich.
LOL. I agree with ecoomer based on the passage quoted. The thing that sticks out to me is that they get 1m tall. Unless you have a huge tank, they'll take up space if they do grow. If not (since they're not truly aquatic) they'll rot and potentially pollute the tank.

Kevin S.

Barb Wired
Jan 3, 2009
Derry, NH
I wouldnt be putting non aquatic plants in your tank, they are going to rot very quickly and could cause an adverse effect on your water parameters.

schaadrak

Lo-Tech Advocate
Sep 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
LOL. I agree with ecoomer based on the passage quoted. The thing that sticks out to me is that they get 1m tall. Unless you have a huge tank, they'll take up space if they do grow. If not (since they're not truly aquatic) they'll rot and potentially pollute the tank.
Lobelia cardinalis is 1m tall when grown emersed, but only 3-4 inches tall in its submerged form.

But this is a desert plant (a type of sage) so will very likely die in the aquarium.

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
Put the whole chia head in the tank!

No, Just kidding. I wonder what types of glue and plant seed they use in the chia kits.

So...
Sounds like you really scored big this Christmas huh? Man, I always wanted one of those!!

:rofl:
I can tell you without a doubt that they don't put glue on chia seeds. they are similar to basil in that when they get wet they have a gel coating on the outside of them. perfectly harmless unless they are rotting in the tank. I wouldnt put them in there thoughl. It just doesn't sound good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store