Cichlid stocking ideas???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sherryz30z

AC Members
Dec 2, 2016
Hello! My 50g column tank has been running for a couple of years. Just moved those guys to a long and trying to decide what to put in now. There is currently just a n. brichardi and some dithers, but those could move also as needed. So what cichlids to stock with for a colorful, active tank?

I had thought of 4" max Africans, like peacocks but not sure if a column would be too cramped for them. Any ideas? Or should I just go with tropical fish instead? I really love cichlids though. I want them to not outgrow this tank, and this location is not conducive to swapping out for a long. Thank you very much. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to the forum!

What are the tank dimensions?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Foot print will definitely be needed to accurately suggest stocking. As well as filtration that you have for it.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Honestly, I would stay away from any Malawi cichlids, even the ones considered dwarf, as they seem to do better in longer tanks.

I think your tank dimensions will be limited for most colorful cichlids but hopefully someone else has some suggestions that have worked for them.

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
Hello! My 50g column tank has been running for a couple of years. Just moved those guys to a long and trying to decide what to put in now. There is currently just a n. brichardi and some dithers, but those could move also as needed. So what cichlids to stock with for a colorful, active tank?

I had thought of 4" max Africans, like peacocks but not sure if a column would be too cramped for them. Any ideas? Or should I just go with tropical fish instead? I really love cichlids though. I want them to not outgrow this tank, and this location is not conducive to swapping out for a long. Thank you very much. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

This is the largest fish in my fish room, he is also the meanest fish I have ever owned. He will not tolerate any other creature in his tank. Even snails fall victim to his wrath. So, he lives alone!

However, he is incredibly smart and beautiful. When he passes I will probably cry, and he will be the first fish that I bury in a marked grave out back of my home. Such is the love of my Jack!

https://youtu.be/QQSsx6DGXsA

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I would agree to stay away from Malawi's in that footprint. However, some of the Tanganyikans stay smaller and might be a good fit.

sherryz30z

AC Members
Dec 2, 2016
Thank you everyone for your input. Okay, sounds like Malawi's are out for this tank. I will do some research on the Tang's. Happy Holidays!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
When it comes to any cichlids the footprint is the main concern, territorial space in other words. With that foot print you will be very limited. Being more cubed than long hurts even more cause with long tanks it is easier for a fish to run and hide or break the line of sight. When you find something that you like let us know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store