Ciclids and breeding.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
These do sound horribly like a Melanochromis species of some desciption. I can't think of any other blue horizontally striped cichlids off hand. Vicious little creatures, IME.

Do you have/can borrow a digital camera? You could attach a picture.

[horrible image of someone scanning their poor fish springs to mind........]

Don't get too defensive - some very good points are being made here. Cichlids are extremely variable in the care they require, and fish shops are very variable in how good they are with the advice they give out. If they are a Melanochromis, they are highly aggressive, for example, and will need appropriate handling, and hard alkaline water. If a south American species, they might require very different conditions - not that I can think of a horizontally striped SA cichlid, but it's a big family.

Hey, and we're not all crazy over here..... at least we know how big a gallon should be :D

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
steveinessex: try posting the description in the cichlids forum, the cichlidiots should be able to tell. unfortunately i am unfamiliar with the type you are describing.

Ichtyus

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
At first I also thought they were melanochromis johanni but if I am correct the female is yellow instead of blue and Steve did not mention that and if it is indeed a "breeding" pair I think Steve has another specie.

I actually have a pair of melanochromis johanni (one blue supposedly male and one yellow supposedly female) in a 30g tank and I have not found them to be overly aggressive. They need their space but leave the others alone if they don't invade their territory. I haven't had any breeding with them though so I may be wrong in assuming the sexes. Any comments?

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
Hi People,

Indeed my fish are a melanochromis species. Not the one quoted above but similar. If I have been informed correctly they originate from lake malawi (unsure of spelling).

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
OK - in which case the answers to your questions are that they are mouthbrooders, and will breed unless conditions are really unfavourable. They like hard alkaline water, which IIRC is what you've got in most of Essex.

The fry, when released, are a little larger than livebearer fry at birth. Again, IIRC, they are vegetarian and will appreciate algae and a plant material based food - animal proteins are believed to be responsible for the potentially fatal condition of "Malawi bloat".

Evolution being what it is, however, more and more tank bred Malawians are doubtless becoming more tolerant of lower pH and hardness figures, and more catholic in their diet. Anyone old enough to remember when Angelfish were as stringent in their requirements as Discus are now?

jonah

new old member
Dec 1, 2002
Oklahoma
petsforum.com
Originally posted by Ichtyus
At first I also thought they were melanochromis johanni but if I am correct the female is yellow instead of blue and Steve did not mention that and if it is indeed a "breeding" pair I think Steve has another specie.

I actually have a pair of melanochromis johanni (one blue supposedly male and one yellow supposedly female) in a 30g tank and I have not found them to be overly aggressive. They need their space but leave the others alone if they don't invade their territory. I haven't had any breeding with them though so I may be wrong in assuming the sexes. Any comments?
There's electric blue johanni that have both the males and females the same color. Not the same as Mel. johanni.

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
I have found out my fish are: Melanochromis lepidiadaptes, formally known as Lepidophage. They are considered a very aggressive species that likes to eat the scales of other fish. (even it's mate, as I have found out). Now I want to know if I should upgrade from a pair to maybe 4 fish to keep them happier? I have been told a pair is not really suitable. Does anyone think I will be able to add a different pair of Melanochromis species? In the hope they will live together, or should I stick to exactly the same species (Lepidiadaptes)

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
With reference to my above post. Can anyone give me some useful tips on finding out the difference between males and females of my fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store