Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

clam breding

Discussion in 'Marine Reef Keeping' started by Germanman, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Germanman

Germanman My fish are my babies

Thursday at 7:24 PM
    anyone have luck with breeding Tridacna calms? i was thinking about it and have done lots of research on it but wanted o see if there are any first hand experience people out there.

2. wastememphis

wastememphis AC Members

Sep 22, 2008
    I think they need a seperate tank since when they sexually reproduce it makes a mess of the water. The breeding distributors say that by stressing the clams they can provoke them to reproduce, but everyone I have talked to that had clams release stuff in their tank spent hours changing filter socks and cleaning their skimmer cups.

3. Germanman

yea i was aware of that and planned on a seperate aquarium but thanks for the input:)

4. 0m3n

0m3n AC Members

Nov 7, 2009
    Apparantly they urinate into the water in clam farms in vietnam to induce spawning. Maybe you could try that germanman... lol

5. Reefscape

Reefscape I shoot people with a Canon
    Staff Member

Blinky
    Jul 14, 2017
    Blinky
    to make life easier for people, to give you options, i would suggest you type a post of what you DO KNOW already.

Niko

6. Dwarf Puffers

Dwarf Puffers Registered user

Nov 26, 2012
    He would have spent an hour typing and it would have taken us 15 minutes to read though...

7. Germanman

lol....
    well ok lets see not the situation is changed i now have several clams in my reef. check out specs in link in my sig. has anyone had experience of them spawning and producing young in their aquarium. i know of a book but he doesnt speak on how just shares the pictures.

8. Almondsaz

Almondsaz AC Members

Oct 31, 2012

I must have a sick sense of humor becuase I haven't laughed so hard as I did when I read OM3n's response. I'm not sure I would be up for that if I were Germanman.

9. Grins

Grins Girl Reefer...we do exist

Jun 16, 2009
    I've heard about it as well..lol. In fact, one local reefer doses his SPS tanks with Vodka. He was sick with some sort of bug and was on medication and drowsy him made the mistake of double dosing. He was in a panic and sick out of his mind and he decided to pee in the tank to adjust the water. Even with the antibiotics in him I hear the tank survived. Made for a hilarious thread the next day.

10. Vito

Vito Registered Member

Aug 21, 2017
    is there anyone who has info on freshwater clam raising