Cleaning gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

n_crypted

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
How often should I clean the gravel in my 10 gallon tank? Or is it not that important. I only have two platys in right now. It's been two months since I set up my tank.

Every time I do a partial water change there is a lot of debris that gets kicked up. Tank has cycled.

thanks

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
you want to get a gravel vac and use it weekly as part of your standard water change....

maybe cut down on the amount of food you are putting in too??

:)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
what kind of filter?

in my 10g's with borderline filtration i have noticed this happening alot. i am a huge fan of over-filtration, it usually makes things easier all the way around..... a bigger filter or doubling them would help suck up alot of the crud that's kicked up when you dump water in.

you can also vacuum weekly or at water changes or at water changes weekly...... i'm not sure i would dig around alot if you are doing it often, you will not need it i don't think.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
You should usually get the next size filter for a tank for better filtration. A penguin mini is rated for tank up to 10g, but I got a Penguin 125 for better filtration.

As stated above, get some kind of gravel vacuum, and use that in your gravel while you do a water change. You should do that every week.

Also, remember not to overfeed. 2 platies don't need a lot of food, maybe 3 or 4 flakes, but not much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store