Cleanup crew

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Hello,

I'm looking for a good cleanup crew for my 90 g reef. Maybe some serpanyt stars, urchins, snails, NO ZEBRA HERMITS!!! They killed every single one of my turbos..

Anyway, what would be a good setup for my tank?

Thank you very much.. :)

cheech.

by the way, nice new look .. :p

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
OK....

I was thinking of taking this route. I'd appreciate your feedback..

-1 algae blennie
-5 turbos
-5 astrea snails
-2 reef safe urchins
-2 cleaner shrimps
-2 cucumbers
-10 reef safe hermits (maybe)
-1 serpant star (already got another in the tank)

How does this look to start off? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys..

cheech

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
You need some sandbed snails in the mix if you're going to go to the trouble of making a big order. Get a number of cerith and/or nassarius snails as well. I would suggest replacing the astrea and turbo snails with trochus snails if they are available. Trochus snails eat a wider range of algae and are much hardier than astrea/turbos.

There is also really no such thing as a reef-safe urchin. The safest urchins will still strip coralline algae and desirable macroalgaes. Urchins also tend to sporadically munch a little on soft corals, although this varies across individuals.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Thanks Boogie :),

. I have a sand sifting star in the tank. Do you think it might try to eat the cerith snails?

Lastly, the guy I purchase my stuff from told me not to get cerith snails because they''re pretty much useless since the stuff in the sand bed will keep moving it. He also told me that some urchins are much better in getting rid of algae than others, and some won't harm coraline algae to the extent to make it noticable.

Do you think anything he's saying is credible?

Thanks again for all the help.. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store