Cloudy Eyes on ADF

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Hello! My ADF recently shed his skin, and it seems that the skin over his eyes hasn't shed yet. There's a white-looking film or something over them. He's been rubbing/scratching his face with his front legs, so I'm guessing that the skin just hasn't run off. He's acting fine; eating regularly and swimming around.

Do you have any suggestions on how to help get the stuff off of his eyes?

Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check water parameters, keep it clean. That's usually the best treatment for any minor ailment. I'm reluctant to recommend any sort of manual assist since there's a high probability of damaging them permanently--very delicate area.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
The water appears to be fine. There's no algae or anything there, and the testing kit says I'm in the "ideal" range for everything. Guess it'll work itself out. I knew I wouldn't be able to get it off by hand; I was just wondering if there was anything I could do as far as helping him try to get it off.

Thanks for the help, OrionGirl!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
So, it seems that he still has cloudy eyes. They almost look like cataracts. I'm fairly confident that it's not a bacterial infection or fungal infection; he's as active as ever and has the appetite of a starving sumo wrestler. He's also not showing any other symptoms of infection, like skin getting shed in patches, white spots on his body (aside from his eyes, that is), wrinkly skin, etc. He seems to see fine (for an ADF anyway...), as he acknowledges me whenever I come near the front of his tank, so I know it's not blindness.

I'm really not sure what to do, and I'm a little worried about it. Have any suggestions?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would not be overly worried. ADF do not have good eye sight anyway. Is he eating? If he is still eating, just make sure you do regular WC and wait till his next shed.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Yeah, he's eating just fine. Just not singing as much, but they seem to be pretty inconsistent about their breeding habits, too, so I'm not too worried about that.

He was put into an uncycled tank, so, as much as I hate it, it's possible that it's just an ammonia burn that's healed. However, if that were the case, wouldn't he have more spots than just on his eyes? I mean, his "kneecaps" look like they have white spots, but they don't look like fungal infection spots.

Thank you for your advice!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Here's a picture that shows what I'm talking about.Froggo.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Those "White Knee" spots are normal. I do not think a frog can get ammonia burns.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store