Cloudy water ! help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

luca0798

Registered Member
May 13, 2020
hello everyone, i’m new to this forum! i started up my 120 gallon fish tank on saturday. I’m doing a fish less cycle. i dosed the water with around 2-4 ppm of ammonia. the water is really really cloudy. does anyone have an idea why it would be cloudy, after the second day of it running it started to get cloudy, every decoration and all the gravel was all rinsed before filling up the tank. i’m using Aquavitro seed for the BB and i’m following the bottles directions. i’m just wondering what it could be.

Thanks!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!

I would dose ammonia only to 2ppm. I'm not familiar with your beneficial bacteria product or any other. Cloudiness can be from bacteria or even algae in your water. 6 hours of lighting is enough, more can lead to algae.

Are you changing some water periodically? How much & how often?

What are you tank's & tap water's parameters? How are you testing?

Reactions: dudley

luca0798

Registered Member
May 13, 2020
Welcome to AC!

I would dose ammonia only to 2ppm. I'm not familiar with your beneficial bacteria product or any other. Cloudiness can be from bacteria or even algae in your water. 6 hours of lighting is enough, more can lead to algae.

Are you changing some water periodically? How much & how often?

What are you tank's & tap water's parameters? How are you testing?
i don’t turn my aquarium light on, i saw that it helps the bacteria grow more rapidly. i just set the tank up on saturday so i haven’t done a water change. the only thing i’ve tested is my ammonia in the tank and it dropped down to 1ppm. I’m using API freshwater master test kit

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That sounds really good!! Just dose enough ammonia to get back to 2ppm until you get to 0 in 24 hours, probably at least 3 or4 weeks, maybe more. Then dose 1 more time to 1ppm to be sure. Then it's fish time!

That's a nice big tank, what are your plans for fish? Plants? Is it a 2ft x 2ft x 4ft long 120g? Or some other dimensions? Now's the time for research...if you haven't already. Tell us!

Reactions: dudley

luca0798

Registered Member
May 13, 2020
That sounds really good!! Just dose enough ammonia to get back to 2ppm until you get to 0 in 24 hours, probably at least 3 or4 weeks, maybe more. Then dose 1 more time to 1ppm to be sure. Then it's fish time!

That's a nice big tank, what are your plans for fish? Plants? Is it a 2ft x 2ft x 4ft long 120g? Or some other dimensions? Now's the time for research...if you haven't already. Tell us!
im not sure what fish i want yet! your absolutely right it’s time for the research to begin. going to be thinking hard i want to make this tank beautiful!

83BAA338-3FDD-47C7-A29D-F1789E809863.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That looks nice.

Well, since I belong to a plant club, I have to say get real plants! Some are easy in almost any light.

So what type, colors, big or small fish attracted you to keeping fish? A mixed Asian or SA community? I always loved pictus catfish in shops before I actually got fish. In 40 years of fishkeeping I've still never kept them, lol.

luca0798

Registered Member
May 13, 2020
That looks nice.

Well, since I belong to a plant club, I have to say get real plants! Some are easy in almost any light.

So what type, colors, big or small fish attracted you to keeping fish? A mixed Asian or SA community? I always loved pictus catfish in shops before I actually got fish. In 40 years of fishkeeping I've still never kept them, lol.
i know i’m going to look into real plants, they help with the tank so much. i like colourful fish that pop, looking at all the possibilities.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'll suggest you look at roseline sharks (dennisoni barbs) & pearl gouramis. Your substrate looks like gravel? Not great for bottom feeders (my favs) or plants...unless it's pretty fine.

For plants look at java ferns & anubias. Neither are planted in the substrate but tied or gel super glued to wood or rocks. There are several varieties of both & they don't need fertilizers either.

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store