Cloudy water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jason Calder

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2003
Visit site
Hello all. You all seem like a wise and helpful bunch. I have a 29 gal. freshwater tank that's been up and running for about 4 months with 5 tiger barbs and a bala shark. About 4 weeks ago, my water began to get cloudy. Right away I cleaned the substrate, changed the filter and did a partial water change. (I started feeding them frozen bloodworms occasionally, and overfed the first couple times. There was a lot of junk at the bottom) After being gone for the holidays for a week the water was even cloudier when I returned. I've asked my local pet store about what to do. I tried an algae killer, thinking it was a floral bloom, and changed the water every 4 days (it was really cloudy at that point), and reduced the amount the lamp was on to about 5 hours/day. Didn't work. I also tried a biological enzyme thinking it was a bacterial bloom, but it just made the water cloudier. I still clean the substrate and do a partial water change weekly and feed them carefully, but the murkiness persists. It really doesn't look greenish or whitish unless I add the enzyme which makes the water milky for days untill I change it. Any ideas?

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I had a bacterial bloom during my cycle which cleared itself up after a few days without intervention on my part. When I describe it as whitish or milky, I mean that it looked like I took a 1/2 cup of milk and stirred the tank well -- just a foggy hazy type thing. It wasn't strongly anything, but I could barely make out the back of the tank. I've never had green water: from reading here and elsewhere I've been under the impression that green water (a type of algae bloom) is decidedly green.

The water chemistry is always helpful. Once someone who can help wanders along, they may want to know pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates etc. I was also wondering how you fed the fish while you were gone? How much do you feed regularly? How often do you do water changes? How often do you clean out the filter and what kind do you have?

wetmanNY

AC Members
carpguy's asking all kinds of right questions, Jason. I'll bet your water will be clear as crystal three weeks from now.

Get tests to find out your KH and your GH, two different measurements. Have you stopped adding things to your water? What goes into it now?Tell all.

carpguy has a hunch someone was feeding your fish for you while you were away. Otherwise you'da come back to clear water.

Get in touch with your local water company: what are they adding? polyphosphates? are they softening the water at the plant? chloramines?

Get back to us as soon as you can...

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Welcome to Aquaria Central. Please answer all questions thoroughly and you will be released shortly.... You have the right to have an attorney present during these proceedings, if you do not have an attorney one will be provided for you......

(I know we sound like the water police, just thought I'd make light of it....:D)

Try not feeding your fish for 3 or 4 days and see if that clears up your cloudiness....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store