Clownfish and Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jl-sullivan

AC Members
Apr 30, 2007
Hello--I am curious as to whether or not a 30 gallon would be suitable for a single clownfish and an anemone. That is the only fish I want in it, will add crabs and snails. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Eddiecorrea

War kitty! God hates cats!
Nov 2, 2008
Whitefish Montana
Yes and no. Depends on what anemone you decide to get. Most people say 30gallon is the smallest you could have one in but its not ideal. Also what kind of lighting will you have it under? Anything less than MH is unlikely to work.

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
I think it would be O.K, but; a long way in the future.

An anemone requires very good water conditions a stable and mature environment and strong light (but i think T5's in the correct watts per gallon ratio are good enough)
It's all about patience and planning ahead.

fish guru

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Naw... I think you should get a metal halide lamp. Remember, since its a thirty gallon, you might need a chiller to cool down the rising temp from the light. Anemones are pretty sensitive, so I would make sure the conditions are all good. actually, you can even substitute anemones. i have a frogspawn coral, and my clown loves swimming through it. And frogspawns dont need expensive lights like metal halides. so that would be another option. :D

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It will depend on what anemone you want to keep and T-5's set up properly will work for anemone's
T5s are more than enough. I actually bleached my anemone when switching to T5s. That being said, some species are more tolerant of less light and can be found at accordingly variable light levels in the wild. Others are rarely found in anything but shallow water. I would only consider metal halide (this is referring to 250w and up) mandatory for two species: Stichodactyla gigantea and Heteractis magnifica.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store