Color changes....stress or aggression??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
When I first got this guy he was a pale yellow color(being chased all around the LFS tank trying to even jump out of the water) so I felt bad for him and decided to bring him home.....I know bumblebees are among the really aggressive cichlids and I'm assuming that has something to do with how dark he is getting?? It's just odd seeing it go from a completely pale yellow with no stripes(didn't even know he was a bumblebee when I bought him) to almost completely black in color and I've even seen him go darker and become solid black at times......I have tried learning as much as I possibly can about cichlid keeping this past year and I know color change is due to stress levels and or aggression. My question is do you thing this color change is due to stress or just becoming more dominant in the tank?

Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 nitrate-between 10 and 20

IMG_0360.JPG

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
I ask because it is inconsistent and seems like every time I turn around he is a different color. This morning he was a solid yellow in color with a black sheen over his body and dark black fins and the photo was taken about 5 minutes or so ago so he is always changing colors.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Many cichlids change color when they're feeding/hunting. Don't know if that applies, since I'm not a cichlid keeper, but usually if the fish is eating and behaving normally, there isn't a problem with color changes. Breeding colors are seldom seen in fish that lack a potential mate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store