Color of molly fry?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rebgen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Des Moines, IA
I have two female silver mollies, one of which recently gave birth. What color are the the fry of a silver molly supposed to be? Mine are all a dark gray color and was curious whether they may have been impregnated with a different color of molly or this was normal. The male silver molly that was with them died recently after a blackout to treat GW. The females came from a LFS 1 1/2 months ago and were in a silver molly tank (which doesn't mean they always were).

Sorry for the newbie question but this is my first go around with mollies. Thanks for the help.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Welcome to the world of Mollies. :D
Well molly fry tend to be any color they want to be or close to that of the parent. Yours are dark grey but as they get older will start to change color so do not worry. I have had fry with one coloration and then after a few months look totally different. So your fry will start to change after about a month or so, the older they get, possibly the more silver they will get, but that is depending on the father.

Rebgen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Des Moines, IA
Thanks for the info...exactly what I was looking for. These silver mollies are awesome tank cleaners! Between them and the oto's they're saving me some work.

BTW...I used to live in White Bear Lake. I always enjoyed living in the twin cities.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Another very important point to remember is that fish can be heterozygous for certain traits, like color. This is especially true in rampantly bred and inbred fish like livebearers. So, it should never come as a surprise when your fry don't match your parents. Some may end up that way, as stated above, and some may end up as orange dalmatian lyretails despite both parents looking differently.

Rebgen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Des Moines, IA
tricksterpup said:
A shame you still dont live here, I am hoping to have some of wild green sailfins from Florida by the end of the summer and plan on breeding them.
I get back once or twice a year to make sure my wife doesn't forget what the Mall of America looks like, lol. :rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store