community tank dwarf cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NorCichlidae

AC Members
Oct 5, 2016
Hi,

I haven't had a south american aquarium before, had one from south east asia some years ago and will get a Tanganykia tank at one point, but for now I'll do a south american one. Of course I'd love to have some cichlids in there. I've been thinking about German blue Rams, but also some Apistogramma. The tank will be 180L and 1m in lenght.
I know both the ram and the apistos will do well in a community tank, but how many individuals would you recommend?
and would it be possible to keep both an apisto species and the rams? I've heard both yes and no, so not sure what to believe.
I'm going to decorate the tank with a natural divider of plants and driftwood, so at least it should be possible for the fish to get two separeate territories in there.
I do have a 60L tank that I could move any fish to that will be picked on and then try to rehome it.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I think you can keep both in the same tank. A 180L maybe a little on the small side for 2 pairs of dwarfs, but with enough wood and plants, I think it is doable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store