Compatibility and stocking opinions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
I have a cycled 20g long tank (24x12x16) light-moderate planted (will replant current plants when they grow). The water temp is ~80-82F without a heater (room temp) since I live in the desert. I currently have: 2 hatchetfish (chase each other constantly), 4 neon tetras (I cannot find a home for these 4 since 80 is too hot for them but they have been in the tank for 3 months), 1 bn pleco, 3 sunset thick lipped gouramis (I got unlucky with 2 males and a female, one male is super aggressive to both fish so I plan on rehoming him leaving the other 2 to pair), and 4 green corys. I was thinking of adding a male GBR to the tank, maybe a pair if I can find one. Would a pair of them, or even a lone one, be ok with the other paired gouramis? The male gourami is already turning slightly black after about 3 days in the tank. Im hoping they will breed soon but not sure with the other aggressive fish. Every comment and opinion will be appreciated! Thank you!

5ED0647D-4891-4E48-99BD-5FC390C8A074.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Didn't we touch on this the other day? ;)

This is a 20g high tank. Longs are 30" x 12" and not as tall as your 20H. You can lower the water temp for everything you currently have in there. Hatchets will calm down a bit with a larger group of them. Corys act more natural and comfortable in larger groups. Anymore than one gourami in a tank this size is always going to be a risk. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
We may have had a small convo about this . I cant lower the temp since its also my room temp. I dont even have my heater plugged in haha.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Will the room get hotter than the low 80s? I too have some tanks in rooms that can get that hot on some days during the summer (no A/C) but that's rare in Buffalo NY to stay hot for long. LOL.

You are correct in that Neons do better in cooler water.

Lefky

AC Members
Apr 14, 2019
Will the room get hotter than the low 80s? I too have some tanks in rooms that can get that hot on some days during the summer (no A/C) but that's rare in Buffalo NY to stay hot for long. LOL.

You are correct in that Neons do better in cooler water.
The max the tank will be at is 85F but that will be for maybe 2 weeks when I am on vacation during the summer. Whenever someone is home the house temp will be 78-82F.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store