Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Concrete raise pH?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by ejmeier, Aug 24, 2003.

1. ejmeier

ejmeier AC Members

Dec 18, 2005
    I have been checking out a european site on ideas for backgrounds, and one of them caught my interest.

You carve a background out of styrofoam and then paint on a layer of concrete and let it dry. It looks pretty cool, the only thing is that the concrete contains limestone (I think?:confused: ) and raises the pH of the tank a decent amount.

Can anyone affirm this pH raise, and if so, by how much? I looked into the pH range tolerances of my fish, and they look like they could handle an increase from 7 to about 8. Anything above 8 would be pushing it...

Inhabitants are:
    1 x Tiger Oscar
    2 x Gold Gouramis
    3 x Clown Loaches

Thanks

2. ChilDawg

ChilDawg Math is sexy.

May 27, 2015
    I'm not so sure that Clown Loaches could take a 10-fold increase in pH that well.

3. ejmeier

ejmeier AC Members

Dec 18, 2005
    It's not like it's gonna be an overnight change from 7 to 8 in the tank. I would acclimate them to the new water conditions slowly.

Anyway, my source for this is wetwebmedia.com , which lists the clown loach as having a tolerance range from 5 - 8. Pretty wide margin of error for pH IMO.:)

4. ChilDawg

ChilDawg Math is sexy.

May 27, 2015
    I thought that you were talking about an overnight change...if it's gradual, they'll be okay!

5. wetmanNY

wetmanNY AC Members

Jun 19, 2004
    What if you painted it with epoxy, grayish streaked with tan, then scattered dry sand on it while it was still tacky? Wouldn't you get a similar look?

6. momopoms

momopoms AC Members

Sep 5, 2003
    Is styrofoam safe?

If you could get away with the concrete, is the styrofoam safe for tanks? also, isn't lime in the mix too? just wondering.

7. ChilDawg

ChilDawg Math is sexy.

May 27, 2015
    Styrofoam is safe...many foam backings are sold commercially for just such a purpose.

8. Hebdizzle

Hebdizzle playswithsquirrels

Jul 25, 2016
    concrete CANNOT BE PUT INTO A TANK until it is cured. It can cause a PH of over 9! It must be cured in freshwater for 5 to 6 weeks, with water changes every week. It contains a high amount of lime which easily leach into your aquarium!

I will find a link to prove.

Aaron

9. Matak

Matak Out of the blue!

Apr 1, 2016
    Don't do it!

Concrete, like brick mortar has many more additives than just portland cement, lime, sand and stone that can leach out and are poisonous to fish. Last winter (before I learned about proper fishkeeping) I put in a brick & mortar cave for decoration. My fish began to really get stressed & sick. I lost a couple before I pinned down the source of the problem.

Styrofoam is OK and using a hot knife creatively can give you some really neat effects. You'l have to find a paint that isn't harmfull to fish or styrofoam.

Good luck :)

10. ejmeier

ejmeier AC Members

Dec 18, 2005
    Sorry abuot the confusion guys, I was intending to use PORTLAND CEMENT. I know that concrete is probably bad for the tank, but the portland cement is practically harmless.

It DOES need to be cured however. It contains something:confused: that I think is limestone-type that raises your pH.

You see, I have a reef background, and I have read all about make rocks out of sand, crushed coral and portland cement. It works great, but you do have to cure it to prevent pH swings...

Hebdizzle: here is one such link of probably dozens if not hundreds more that are out there showing the pH raise in cement: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60515

wetmanNY - epoxy is too expensive for my budget.:( A $5 sheet of styrofoam and a $5 bag of portland cement, and I'm ready!:)