Considering getting some loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Ok loach people, I've never kept loaches and know very little about them (aside from knowing to watch out for the stilettos) but I've been considering getting some. Seems like they work well in both American and African cichlid tanks, so they'd fit in with my guys. I'd probably go with clown loaches as the other species stay too small to go in with my big guys eventually, though the yo-yos are pretty cool. I doubt I can get my hands on any sidthimunki locally, but they seem like neat fish too. I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations, etc.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'm not sure how they'd deal with more aggressive cichlids, but weather loaches are wicked cool loaches which get relatively big. They might like it a bit too cold for some species though, mind lives at 76 without problems.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I love my yoyo loaches, although I don't know how well they would fare with more aggressive africans. I think clown loaches would be great and I've always had my eye on gold weather loaches but they grow a bit too large for my tanks at the moment.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
My tanks probably run too hot for weather loaches, thanks for the suggestion though. My africans aren't super aggressive, I have mostly peacocks and haps. They totally leave my BNs alone so I doubt they'd harass other bottom dwellers.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I've also stumbled across yasuhikotakia modesta, or blue botia online which caught my interest.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I would think yoyo's would handle your cichlids just fine. I had 1 in an African cichlid tank. The cichlids are famous for suddenly turning on each other, but no one will mess with the yoyo loach. I've never seen a mark on him. He goes where he wants and no one stops him. I think he's a bit tougher than the clown loaches I have in my community tank.

As a disclaimer, I have to say that all of my loaches are quite big. I don't know how a baby loach of either species would do with aggressive cichlids, although your cichlids aren't the worst types...

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Ive got two yo yos in my mbuna tank. They are 3 to 4 inches and get left alone. They might get run out of the holey rock occasionally but I haven't seen a mark on them.

It's also pretty funny when the loaches chase the around the tank too lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store