Constructing Flourescent lights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steve Ballee'

AC Members
Sep 26, 2002
Visit site
I have no experiance with actual assembly of lighting systems, but have noticed while at Home Depot, picking up cheap fixtures, that they sell all of the individual parts to assemble a fixture. I'm curious about just how hard it would be to get a couple of the end pieces (where the bulb rests) the ballast, and just size things as appropriate in a diy hood?? when I have been assembling the fixtures I have, they sure dont look like there is much to them, and sure would seem to be a cheaper method of building a hood then even buying the twin strip shop lights.. just looking for feedback.

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
you can get an already assembled twin tube shop light for $7. the diy hoods are pretty easy to do with some lumber and a little bit of carpentry skill. good luck

Dabbler II

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta,Canada
This is what i have done. I got the kit for the lights at my LFS ($65.00 CDN x2) I got the plans from the net for the rest of the cabnet. It took me 3 hours to build it and 3 days to finish it (varnishing and painting) I hope this pic works

diy hood.jpg

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread Steve. I also wanted to eventually build my own hoods. Dabbler that is a really nice hood. Great worksmanship from what I can see. :)

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
Okay, is there any problem with running these lights that you put together yourself in a moist environment?

Any special ballast you can get from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. that will work better than others?

I have glass over tanks but want to make sure. Would love to do a similar setup on all of our tanks.

Dabbler II

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta,Canada
The setup that I installed, I bought the fixtures from the LFS and they are made for this type of enviroment. They are called GLO-MAT 2 ELECTRONIC BALLAST KIT. I put 2 of these in my hood. You can get them in different wattages and one and 2 bulb configuration. You can find them at Big Al's.

http://www.bigalsonline.com

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
This sounds like a good idea. I have been doing research on lighting for my soon-to-be plant tank and would like any info I can get my grubby paws on.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store