Controlling aggression through overcrowding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
I have done the controlled agrression thing with overcrowding..... But never with anything as aggressive as the fish you mentioned.

I did it with acaras, firemouths, rainbows etc. all fish of that level of temperment.

It worked, the tank looked full and "alive" but it really didn't have the feel that I have come to love about cichlids when they set up their own territory and defend it.

Cichlids can be but really aren't suppose to be community fish.

Keep in mind that fish also have personalities. You can get the friendly ones or the bastartd ones. In any case all that it will take is one or two bad apples in the community and it becomes a living hell for the rest of the fish.

The dempsey's would be the first to get their butts handed to them. I don't know where the myth of JD's being put into the same aggressive catagory as other real meanies like GT's. They really aren't.

I have a Carpinte with my large male JD, with some targets in my 55. The tank looks good and everyone gets along more or less. Dispite the odd squabble.

I would recommend something similar with either the jd and a couple of salvini's or the texas with the salvini's or the jd with the texas. Throw in some targets and your tank will look great.

qieter

AC Members
Nov 30, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
thanx alot for the input guys..the 55 gal is going to be 4 feet long....i guess ill just get a couple of the fish that i mentioned...plus the bristlenose plec, tiger plecotia and the 3 clown loaches that i have....

vic

SoulkeepeR

Social Lurker
Mar 15, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
SA's are to be NEVER over stocked, mainly becuase of thier size and agression.

I think you would be better off with malawi's you can over stock them (to an extent) and they can still be happy. I have been currently running this setup in a 55 gallon for about 3 years now, stay away from the haps and you should be fine. the key is overfiltration and TONS of caves, I currently have

4 electric blues
3 breeding blue zebras
2 labs
4 white thingys that I have YET to identify!!@#$
1 loach
1 CHA
1 green severum

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store