Coral ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dlyon101

AC Members
Dec 30, 2010
I saw this at my LFS but I'm not sure what it is. The LFS says it's either a Favite or an Oulophyllia Crispa. Any thoughts? It looks cool and I think I will buy it. I'm just not sure what the light and flow requirements would be. I trying to decide on placement in my reef tank.photo.JPG

photo.JPG

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Oullophyllia perhaps, no way is that a Favites. Possibly a Platygyra, but Oullophyllia would be my first thought.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Check for sweeper tentacles, especially @ night/in dark. If sweeper present, probably a favid, leaning toward Platygyra since valley is not as deep/wide in the pic as Ive seen/handled Oulophyllia.
If no sweppers at all, cant be sure as all the Merulina's Ive seen/handled did not have such thick outer edges, if memory serves although hard to judge from the pic.

In any case, nice piece for sure!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Now that you mention it.....

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Any way to get a closer shot? A closeup of the ridges would reveal whether or not the coral is Merulina, since angular hydnophores would be present.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Any way to get a closer shot? A closeup of the ridges would reveal whether or not the coral is Merulina, since angular hydnophores would be present.
Wow, this is completely wrong. I looked at my post again and saw the fail immediately--not sure why I said it in the first place. While they are in the same family as Hydnophora, Merulina does NOT have hydnophores. Sorry about that. However, they will still have characteristic ridges that are distinctive when compared to similar looking faviids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store