Cories, Red Cherry Shrimp and Clown Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ronyee1

AC Members
Oct 2, 2006
I was wondering whether I could add loaches to a community tank that already has cories and Red Cherry Shrimp. Will the Loaches totally dominate and nips at the cories? I am also very worried about the loaches eating the red cherry shrimp. The only reason I want to get a few is that my snail population in my planted tank is out of control and I am unsure of any other way of dealing with them If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Unfortunarley I have a top soil substrate covered by a layer of gravel and the plants are well rooted in the topsoil so moving the plants out to rinse them off is not possible. So any help would be appreciated!
Thanks again
Ron

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
What size tank?

And clown loaches are peace full, they are curious and offten follow and mess around with other fish, but no harm is done.

And best to keep them in a school of 5+ for best results.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if you don't have a 100g tank (at the least) or won't be able to get one in the future, don't bother with the loaches. they grow slowly but they grow large, 10-15 inches. if you want snail control get something like a yoyo loach, don't overfeed your tank, or use a piece of lettuce placed in the tank at night to attract the snails, then remove it in the morning when it is covered with them.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
ronyee1 said:
I was wondering whether I could add loaches to a community tank that already has cories and Red Cherry Shrimp. Will the Loaches totally dominate and nips at the cories? I am also very worried about the loaches eating the red cherry shrimp. The only reason I want to get a few is that my snail population in my planted tank is out of control and I am unsure of any other way of dealing with them If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it. Unfortunarley I have a top soil substrate covered by a layer of gravel and the plants are well rooted in the topsoil so moving the plants out to rinse them off is not possible. So any help would be appreciated!
Thanks again
Ron
NO! If you want to get rid of the snails take them out by hand.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Ron, I also think the clowns might try to eat the shrimpies, especially since RCS are pretty small, even smaller than ghost shrimp.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hello,

Clown Loaches will probably harass and bully the Cories They will also probably shove the Cories away from the food. There is a good chance that they would eat the Cherry Shrimp. Yo-Yo Loaches are good for snail control, and they don't grow even close to an adult Clown Loach in size.

I don't think it would work, but you never know.

Cory Lover

ronyee1

AC Members
Oct 2, 2006
no loaches

seems like no loaches for me . Kind of depressing as when I was in college a few years back I had a 55 gallon planted tank with just 3 figure 8 puffers and a schoal of clown loaches and now I cant have either. Ah well such is the price of the planted tank with shrimp :(

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
^The loaches survived in the brackish water?!

I was thinking of a dojo loach.

I still miss my 5 clown loaches =[

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
ronyee1 said:
seems like no loaches for me . Kind of depressing as when I was in college a few years back I had a 55 gallon planted tank with just 3 figure 8 puffers and a schoal of clown loaches and now I cant have either. Ah well such is the price of the planted tank with shrimp :(
Hello,

You could still have Dwarf Loaches. Their small, cute, and should be kept in groups. I'm pretty sure they won't eat shrimp.

Cory Lover

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store