Corner Matten Filter in an established aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I'm starting to really like the idea of doing a corner matten filter using a power head in my 55 gallon aquarium. It would allow me to hide my heater, and, with a power head. would allow me to minimize noise.

But I REALLY don't want to take the tank apart to do it. Is there any way to install a corner matten filter into an aquarium without tearing the whole thing down?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Andy, what we did was used some 3/16" or 1/4" scrap acrylic we had laying around, made two sides about 4" wide and as tall as the tank and bonded them together in a V-shape, then attached two narrow pieces to the open end of the V to hold the Poret in place. There is no top or bottom to the piece. We wedged it in the corner of the tank between the bottom of the tank and the underside of the tank trim. It worked well!

You may also want to check out Swiss Tropicals Tower Block Filter filter bases and place it straddling the corner of the tank and use a longer piece of Poret to meet the sides of the tank.

Another option could be to use a piece of eggcrate to span the corner and 'pin' the Poret to the front side of the eggcrate. Some careful trimming of the Poret so it fits snug to the tank walls should keep fish from getting behind the contraption. This method wouldn't give you a nice curved front on the Poret but should be doable.

Reactions: MChambers

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Super glue gel is supposed to work underwater. I haven't done it, but it seems like razor blades would remove mistakes if not too bad...Do it & see!

Lnelms2

AC Members
Jun 20, 2018
I've seen ppl use the gel for gluing live rock together, it sets underwater as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store