Cory cat changes color?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
Oh no, blood worms is only every other week being with such a low stock level I dnt want to over do it with blood worms. Once it is stock properly then I feed blood worms weekly.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are these Emerald corys? I've had them and they do change color a bit. You need to double or triple the number of them at some point once you're sure your tank produces nothing but nitrates.

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
Yes they are emarlds and they were the last 3 or I would of gotten 6 of them! Someone please help, I have a nitrites and just done a water change 2 days again, tanks was cycled with used media and had everything perfect after 3 moths of running. 2 weeks later I added the few fish and now I have a nitrite spike and one of my cories unfortunately I dnt think is going to survive but all others are fine. Do I do another water change what do I do? Never had this problem in my time of have awauriums

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
If you have nitrites you lost your cycle. Unless you got another cycled tank that you can temporary put your fish in, then all you can do is waiting for the tank to be cycled again. Basically you are cycling with fish in and you need to do a lot of waterchanges without disturbing your biomedia.

ThomasAllen

AC Members
Jan 23, 2016
Louisiana
Real Name
Thomas Allen
So what did I do wrong, nothing was changed in the routine and my other aquarium the fish would eat/kill these lil guys! I don't understand how everything was lost with doing the usual routine

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
You mentioned that you don't yet have a way to test ammonia. Without it you can never be sure if your tank is really cycled. I assumed your tank was cycled because you said it was, but it is also possible that it never had a cycle to begin with. Or rather that it wasn't cycled enough to handle the bioload from fish. You can shock a cycled tank by adding too many fish at once, and you end up with a mini-cycle. Being "cycled" is not a black and white on and off switch. Same fish tank with one fish will have a smaller bacteria colony than that tank with 20 fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store