Cory Fin Loss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Falconfree

AC Members
Mar 9, 2017
Let me preface this with saying I'm pretty new to fish, so bear with me if I say something stupid and give too many/too few details. ;)

I have two albino cories that had severe fin loss about a month ago. I woke up one morning, and one had pretty much no tail or dorsal fin, and the other had very little dorsal fin. I immediately thought it was one of the two male guppies in the tank, because one of them was a big bully. I'd seen him harassing the albinos before, but didn't notice any damage until that morning. The cories were also pretty lethargic. I moved both guppies to another tank that day, and treated the tank with Melafix for a week (on the advice of Dr. Google, since I thought at the time it was because of the guppy), along with twice weekly water changes to keep the water extra clean to encourage fin regrowth. The cories perked up a lot after a few days, and I could see some (very slow) fin regrowth happening on both. I treated with Melafix for a week (as per the label).

Today, one of the cories is almost fully healed, but the other one's tail is suddenly super short again. It doesn't look like fin rot, from looking at photos online, but again, I'm such a newbie it is entirely possible I am just not seeing it. His tail is like someone took a knife sliced it cleanly off. Trying to get a picture, but not having much luck thus far.

10 gallon, freshwater, moderately planted tank. Started almost a year ago, no major issues since cycling. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 ppm nitrate, low ph (6), tested via API dropper kit. Currently there are 5 peppered cories, 2 albino cories, 1 agassizi cory, 12 cherry shrimp, and 1 nerite snail. The most recent additions were 2 (or 3, I can't remember) peppered cories a couple weeks ago, which were not quarantined (being honest here!). The fish are fed Omega One sinking shrimp pellets once a day. There are no decorations, just plants.

The temp is about 77-78 degrees. The filter is a HOB that came with the tank, a Marineland BioWheel 75, 75 GPH (according to the Amazon listing). I clean the filter by swishing it lightly in tank water during a water change every few months. Water changes are usually weekly, about 20-25%, I typically only lightly vacuum the gravel.

Interestingly, none of the other cories have had any damage to their fins at all, either a month ago or now. It is just the albino cories, and this time, only the one albino cory. I love the personalities on these two, so I'm really hoping we can manage to pinpoint the cause and help them heal.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What else do you have in the tank? If it is truly fin rot, I would mix a higher concentration of "Fin-Rot Meds" and using a Q-tip, swab the fin area.

Falconfree

AC Members
Mar 9, 2017
5 peppered cories, 2 albino cories, 1 agassizi cory, 12 cherry shrimp, and 1 nerite snail. It doesn't look at all like the photos of fin rot online. It's a straight line, right down where his tail was.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would still swab the fins and tail. May help them heal and grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store