Corydora Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Wycco is right. Without proper water movement constantly over the eggs, they will fungus.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Perhaps I should quickly set up my 5 g tank tonight and transfer the eggs I've collected into the tank. And, is an airstone something that attaches to an air pump? I don't use an air pump in my 10 g. tank. I have a small filter that I can run on the 5 g. tank that will certainly generate a lot of water movement. Will that work?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I think that water movement is what is needed (and airstones provide plenty of that).

From what I read back when I had eggs- Cory's will instinctively lay eggs in part of a tank that gets a lot of water flow.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Before I ran off to work this morning, I dug around in my fish supply box and found a battery operated pump with tubing and airstone. So, I have my little tupperware container with the tank water, loose eggs and some eggs on leaves; and the airstone bubbling away. I hope that's right.

When I get home; I can transfer everything into the 5 g. tank and add a mini heater. I thought I'd leave the eggs in the container and weigh it down with pebbles so that I can keep track of the eggs.

Who knows...if it works, it works...if not, this is the second time they've had eggs so I'm sure it will happen again.

Thanks.

Last edited:

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Woke up this morning to find that several eggs have hatched! Now, I have to figure out what to do next! I'm excited.
Just for reference, I never did transfer them out of the tupperware bowl, I simply set the bowl on top of my 40 g. tank, covered it with a teacloth to keep some heat in, ran the airstone (the battery operated version is driving us mad with the noise) and that's it. I've been so busy that I even forgot about changing the water. I'll do that today.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Be careful with water changes. Fry are sensitive to water changes. Are you going to set a small tank up for them now?

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
They are so tiny, I have kept them in the tupperware with the airstone but filled my 5 g tank about halfway with water from the parents' tank. Then, I have a little mini-heater set up and I am floating the tupperware in the water so that the little guys have warm water. I still have the tea towel over the set up so they are not disturbed. I also have gravel in the tupperware, them seem to like hiding in it. I see a few eggs that look as if they may hatch as well as a few which seem to have some fuzz on them (fungus?) and I will take them out. The little guys are swimming. Tomorrow, I will buy a quieter air pump and also microworms which seem to be recommended.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
They are cute. I think I have about 10 (perhaps more) little guys. I bought a new air pump (ahh, much quieter, but also stronger) so I am going to float the little guys into the 5 g. tank that is filled with parents' tank water. The pump is too strong for the little tupperware container--and I can't take the noise of the battery-operated one any longer.
Now, I'm just wondering how I know if the little guys are eating. I bought some frozen baby brine shrimp. Our LLF doesn't have microworms. The girl at the counter also said they crush up regular flake food when they hatchlings of fish.
I'm just winging it right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store